Monday, 9 December 2013

Our Nursery Wall: Painted Tree

We spent a lot of time browsing Pinterest for nursery ideas and fell in love with the idea of a feature wall with a tree or trees. At first, we planned to buy some tree decals and found a lot of great options on etsy, but they were very expensive and I figured how hard could it be to paint a tree? I liked the idea of it being more personal and more individual. Then I came up with the idea of cutting and pasting leaves from the wallpaper we had left from our patchwork wall.

IMG_5333
 
IMG_5335


First we painted the wall using a pink paint from B&Q, then I sketched a tree on the wall using a pencil. I searched for images of trees that I liked and displayed this image on my iPhone and used it as a rough guide when I drew my outline. It doesn't look much like my end result but I found it useful to have a starting point. It was much easier to draw the tree than I anticipated. The hard part was painting it! I struggled to find the right sized brushes and ended up using children's art brushes and I found parts of it needed several coats to cover the pencil marks.

We then made leaf templates out of card in three different sizes and two different butterfly templates. We used these to cut a lot of leaves and a handful of butterflies out of the six different wallpapers we had. We then used blu-tack to position them in the correct place on the tree. Finally I pasted the leaves on with wallpaper paste.

IMG_5339


IMG_5338
 
IMG_5337


IMG_5341


The whole process took us a long time! Mainly because we didn't have a huge amount of solid time to dedicate to doing it and instead we had to make do with an hour here and there, but I am really happy with the end result. If I was to do it again I would include some larger leaves because the leaves looked much smaller once they were pasted than they had looked when they were blu-tacked and more 3D. However, I am so pleased we did it ourselves because it makes it so much more personal.

I can't wait to finish the rest of the nursery and I would love to share what we have done once it is all finished. Let me know if it's something you would like to see.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, it looks amazing I can't wait to see the finished project! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I have so much to do and so little time to do it. In not sure when we will actually finish it! X

      Delete