Wednesday, 11 June 2014

A Recipe A Week: Jamie Oliver's Mexican Tomato Soup

IMG_7118

IMG_7119

So this week I continued on my mission to try at least one new recipe a week. This week I have actually tried four new recipes and I loved three of them. This tomato soup was probably my favourite.

This recipe is from Jamie Oliver's '15 Minute Meals' cookbook. I used his cookbook but you can find the recipe online here (although the recipe online misses out a quick squeeze of lime in the soup at the end, before serving).

I absolutely loved this dish. It was a very vibrant dish, full of flavour. I usually think of soup as being more appropriate for autumn or winter, but this one is perfect for summer. The soup tasted surprisingly fresh considering it largely consisted of chopped tomatoes and jarred peppers and the rice made it really thick and filling enough for a main meal. It's called tomato soup, but I actually loved the sweetness the peppers added and I could taste them just as much as the tomato. The thickness of the soup made the tortilla chips ideal for dipping.  The yogurt garnish was a delicious addition and I loved the heat of the jalapenos together with the coolness of the yogurt and mint. I also loved the extras of feta, tomatoes, limes, avocado and coriander. I sprinkled them into my soup (which reminded me of another soup I made from from Thomasina Mier's book) which tasted delicious, but if I made this again I would cut them all into much smaller pictures than the picture in the recipe book suggests.

In terms of ease to make I found this very easy. I would suggest getting all your ingredients and equipment out first and once I had done this I think it probably took me about 20 minutes to make. I found it a lot less stressful that some of the other 15 minute meals! The only thing I dislike is the amount of mess I have to clear up after following one of Jamie Oliver's 15 minute or 30 minute meals. I usually like to clear things away as I go, but these recipes leave no time for that. I love what you can create in a short amount of time, but I hate knowing that I have a huge amount of clearing up to do once I have finished my meal. I might save on cooking time, but it can take a long time to clear up.

Have you tried any of Jamie Oliver's 15 or 30 minute meals? Which are your favourite?



1 comment:

  1. This sounds like a great recipe having soup can sometimes be tasteless so nice to know it is packed with flavour. It is a great idea to try a different meal a week Lucy x

    ReplyDelete