Saturday, 7 June 2014

Maps and Measures

IMG_7018

IMG_7027

IMG_7029

Yesterday, after making several visits to relatives we decided to make the most of the sunshine and head to the seaside. Now it may not look much like the seaside in these pictures, but these were taken in the park opposite the beach just after we had enjoyed fish and chips and before we hit the beach and the pier. 

My husband and I are a little obsessed with maps. I can't read a map for toffee, but I love how they look. Our study is pretty much dedicated to them. I have so many maps on the walls and once we buy our next house I dream of either getting a huge atlas wall mural  or finding some old atlases in the right colours and pasting pages to one wall.

I'd been looking for a map print dress for some time and this one appeared on the Topshop website right in the middle of my pregnancy. At the time I desperately wanted it, but I could really justify the £50 price tag and I had no idea what size I would need once I no longer had my bump! Fast forward a few months and I found it on eBay and, after a slightly frenzied bidding war at the last minute, I won it for a fraction of the original price.

My only problem with the dress it is so short and a little see through so I have to wear it with tights or leggings. I actually hate how leggings look with a dress, but since becoming a mum I have found that practical dressing is a necessity if I don't want to flash my knickers! I never have a free hand to hold my skirt down in a gust of wind and bending over a pram wouldn't leave much to the imagination! I have come to the conclusion that I need to invest in some longer skirts and dresses, but unfortunately my bank balance that's feeling a little unloved from maternity pay doesn't agree!  A day at the seaside today made my husband and I realise how much we would love a holiday. We have a holiday to Malta booked for October, but it seems so far away and we came back home and started browsing for little cottages and villas in Northern France because we figured we could drive there quite easily. Somehow driving seems much less daunting than flying with a baby! If we want two holidays whilst I am on maternity pay I definitely need to rein in my spending!

Have you ever been to Northern France? I've only ever been to Paris and parts of the South of France. Or let me know if you can recommend anywhere for a holiday that is easy to drive to. I'd like somewhere reasonably warm, but it doesn't have to be red hot. 

Dress - Topshop via eBay
Leggings - Topshop
Denim Jacket - New Look
Ruler Necklace - Accessorize
Sandals - River Island 
Watch - Michael Kors 
Bracelets - Pandora and Warehouse







8 comments:

  1. What a great dress. Have you had any people yet looking at it and sharing where they have been. Or maybe that is just me Lucy x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I've tried that myself but the print is a little too blurry. X

      Delete
  2. Love your dress! My MiL makes gift tag from old map, she finds places special to the person, they're too cute! St Malo and Mont St Michel are lovely places to visit in Northen France, x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those gift tags sound like a lovely idea. I love using brown paper for presents and I imagine they would go perfectly with it. X

      Delete
  3. I really love that dress! I am the same as you though, I can't read a map at all. I can't even fold them properly haha

    www.hungryhealthyhappy.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Folding them is perhaps the worst part! X

      Delete
  4. Love the dress! I love maps too, although like you can't claim to know how to read them haha...

    Are you in South Shields here? I recognise the bandstand!

    Love the blog :)

    Chloe
    proseccoandpie.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Yes, I am in South Shields. Well recognised! xx

      Delete